Wednesday 6 January 2016

My Opinion

I have just realised that my blog is actually called ‘A Fracking Good Idea’ and the majority of my posts have been very negative about the topic. So I think it’s finally time that I let you all know my own personal opinion, in case you hadn't already guessed.

When I first started this blog I was already relatively well informed on the topic of fracking and its positives and negatives, however, from writing each post I have learnt something new (and I hope you have too). Not only have I been surprised by the amount of puns used within the fracking debate but also the secrets, dirty politics and overall negative vibe around the topic. I used to be supportive of fracking (hence the title of the blog) as a gateway resource to a cleaner economy while increasing economic and energy security at the same time but since doing so much research it has become clear to me that, in my personal opinion, the negatives far outweigh the positives. I know that we still don’t know how safe fracking will be in the UK so I’m not making any firm decisions just yet but if it is similar to what has been happening over in the US I do not want it near me, even if it will lower energy prices. I recently came across a term in Tim Flannery's new book 'Atmosphere of Hope' where he refers to shale gas as 'fossil fuel-lite' which is perfect for indicating that it is not as bad but still a fossil fuel at the end of the day. I think money would be better put into developing renewable energy rather than wasting time trying to stick with fossil fuels, it's almost as if fracking is a last hurrah for our relationship with fossil fuels before we finally let them go and move on. Shale gas still has the potential to get us into a lower carbon, more efficient and self-sustaining economy but is it worth the risk or can future advancements reduce these risks? What shale we do? (Final pun)

Overall, I now think the move to natural gas may actually be a fracking bad idea. 

Since this is likely going to be my last blog I think I'll leave you all with a quote from Barack Obama when he was on Bear Goes Wild (best episode ever). He compared climate change to driving a car towards a cliff. 'You don't have to screech to a halt at the last second you can just keep tapping at the breaks. This is how we need to deal with climate change and the transition away from fossil fuels in order to reduce carbon emissions.'

This analogy is perfect for saying that fracking may well be an essential gateway resource to a lower carbon economy. It is definitely not the sole solution and shouldn't be relied upon in the long-term but it can help on our path to a renewable world. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice last post, Sarah. I think the negatives outweight the positives too and I get the feeling that it won't really be a gateway to renewable energy either. Once so much investment has been put into fracking I can't imagine a goverment just shutting it all down for something new. It makes more sense just to start with renewables from scratch!

    ReplyDelete